MEET OUR TEAMS:
An excellent chance awaits an enthusiastic individual to become an Associate Infrastructure Engineer – Networks and work with a team of Network Professionals. This opportunity provides exposure to a vast WAN that covers more than 200 sites and uses advanced network technologies from renowned vendors such as Cisco, Checkpoint, F5, and Smoothwall. With over 10,000 users, our infrastructure is critical to support the essential services provided to over a million citizens in the city. Your role would be to support this infrastructure and ensure that it operates smoothly.
What we are about
The chosen candidate will become a member of a dynamic team responsible for supporting the network of Birmingham City Council (BCC). The team requires an experienced engineering resource with the appropriate skills to ensure that the network operates smoothly and is enhanced as per business needs.
What you will do
- Provide technical assistance to the customer base.
- Provide Tier 1 support for the day-to-day running of the Network, Internet Services, Load-balancing and Firewall Services.
- Participate in the installation of new sites, from site survey to go-live.
- Raise requests to order and cease circuits
- Co-ordinate delivery of new circuits and installations with third-party suppliers
- Maintain records related to Network topology
- Assist in the coordination and delivery of operational changes
- Troubleshoot technical problems, challenges and complexities that exist within the network.
- Configure, Install, Maintain and update Cisco Access Points, Routers and switches.
- Monitor the network using our system monitoring/reporting tool, Solarwinds.
We will support you with
- An environment that values curiosity, autonomy and working in the open
- An engaged and supportive leadership with a clear vision
- Training and development opportunities to help you progress and be the best you can be
- An inclusive workplace committed to reflecting the public we serve
- A benefit package designed to promote a great work life balance
This is an exciting time to be joining Birmingham City Council’s Digital and Technology Services Department. We are Europe’s largest local authority, and with unprecedented investment in people and digital, a solid strategy, empowering leadership and a newly redesigned service to get behind, we are building digital services centred on the needs of our citizens, business and communities that will deliver on Birmingham’s bold ambitions for the city of today and tomorrow.
We are a multidisciplinary team at the heart of transforming public services for the UK’s second largest city. We create, develop, deliver and operate an exceptionally diverse range of services that have a direct impact on improving the lives of 1.2m residents every day.
We are embracing and promoting a truly digital, human centred approach for the whole organisation, underpinned by collaboration, openness and innovation. We take advantage of unparalleled access to data, doing things at scale and using technology creatively to re-imagine the way services are delivered and build the digital council of the future.
You must upload a Supporting Statement and CV via the attachments part of your application. This is required for shortlisting; you need to describe how your experience and skills fit the essential criteria for the role as specified in the Person Specification. If you do not attach your Supporting Statement and CV your application will not be considered.
For informal enquiries please contact James McDougall (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you require this document in an accessible format, please email the Culture & Capability team using DTSCultureandCapability@birmingham.gov.uk.