MEET OUR TEAMS:
This is an exciting opportunity to join a large, dynamic, collaborative delivery team that is passionate about delivering user-focused, sustainable change. You will be working as part of a multi-disciplinary team to shape and deliver innovative digital products and services that will improve the lives of our citizens, businesses and colleagues. Birmingham’s scale makes this one of the biggest and most exciting roles of its kind in local government and you can expect a level of responsibility and professional development to match our ambition to be a best-in-class digital service.
What we are about
Our team, the Digital and Technology Services Delivery Team, is responsible for executing a variety of programs and projects on behalf of Birmingham City Council. We have played a significant role in delivering high-profile and politically sensitive initiatives such as the Commonwealth Games and Clean Air Zone. Furthermore, we have been actively developing our own digital products, including the Birmingham Guardian app for field workers, which has been nominated for a national award. With the acquisition of our new low-code development tool, we have even more potential to create innovative solutions.
What you will do
This role will offer you the opportunity to be part of a a multi-disciplinary team working with our exciting new Product and Platforms team to help shape and deliver products and new digital services.
As a Lead Delivery Manager, you will:-
- Lead on the delivery of complex products and services that are delivered by multiple teams and have high technical or political risk.
- Manage dependencies, risks and issues of varying complexity, potentially planning and feeding into larger programmes and portfolios
- Create business ‘value realisation’ cases to support approval at Cabinet level
- Work within multidisciplinary teams to scope, plan, forecast and estimate rroduct & project delivery
- Act as servant-leader to your teams, ensuring they have what they need to work towards the delivery of sustained value to our citizens and businesses
- Use a range of tools and processes to communicate plans and progress of value delivery to a range of stakeholders
- Have an in-depth knowledge of Agile and other methodologies
- Be responsible for understanding, managing and communicating to complex stakeholder groups, balancing priorities
- Be able to take an holistic view of all value streams
- Support and coach delivery managers in all aspects of Agile delivery
- Build successful delivery teams by creating an environment of engagement, continuous learning and improvement
Who You Are
You will have the opportunity to help us transform as a truly digital user-centred organisation helping our colleagues to deliver value and benefits through digital products and solutions
- Have a passion for delivering sustained value to customers
- Able to help shape and influence digital transformations
- A sound communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Passionate and knowledgeable of working in an agile environment as part of multidisciplinary teams
- Able to coach and lead teams and stakeholders in Agile methodologies
- Be an advocate for new ways of working and constantly innovate.
- Able to solve and unblock issues between teams or departments
- Experience of managing complex budgets
- Experience of resolving high risk commercial management issues
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team to directly lead and plan the delivery of complex programmes and projects that may exceed £10m
- Define business cases to enable the programme/project to deliver upon our commitments.
- Managing and communicating to complex stakeholder groups to support the delivery and working in the open with the user at the centre of all you do
- Work with the Head of Function and Portfolio Delivery Manager to define and implement delivery methodologies, processes, and procedures, promote best practices and apply policy, standards
- Provide strong and inspirational leadership driving continuous improvement and supporting members of the team. Providing and coaching and empowering teams.
- Be a role model for our values and lead by example to help transform the culture of the organisation
We will support you with
- An environment that values curiosity, autonomy and working in the open
- An engaged and supportive leadership with a clear vision
- Training and development opportunities to help you progress and be the best you can be
- An inclusive workplace committed to reflecting the public we serve
- A benefit package designed to promote a great work life balance
- Exposure to all digital and technology teams and services areas across the council
This is an exciting time to be joining Birmingham City Council’s Digital and Technology Services Department. We are Europe’s largest local authority, and with unprecedented investment in people and digital, a solid strategy, empowering leadership and a newly redesigned service to get behind, we are building digital services centred on the needs of our citizens, business and communities that will deliver on Birmingham’s bold ambitions for the city of today and tomorrow.
We are a multidisciplinary team at the heart of transforming public services for the UK’s second largest city. We create, develop, deliver and operate an exceptionally diverse range of services that have a direct impact on improving the lives of 1.2m residents every day.
We are embracing and promoting a truly digital, human centred approach for the whole organisation, underpinned by collaboration, openness and innovation. We take advantage of unparalleled access to data, doing things at scale and using technology creatively to re-imagine the way services are delivered and build the digital council of the future.
For informal enquires please contact Jane James (email@example.com) or David Lilley (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You must upload a Supporting Statement and CV via the attachments part of your application. This is required for shortlisting; you need to describe how your experience and skills fit the essential criteria for the role as specified in the Person Specification. If you do not attach your Supporting Statement and CV, your application will not be considered.
“Interviews for this post will take place virtually via video conferencing. Shortlisted candidates will be provided with further information
If you require this document in an accessible format, please email the Culture & Capability team using DTSCultureandCapability@birmingham.gov.uk.