MEET OUR TEAMS:
Birmingham City Council is seeking a motivated Senior Infrastructure Engineer to join their Network Professionals team. The position offers the opportunity to work with leading-edge network technologies from top-tier vendors, including Cisco, Checkpoint, F5, and Smoothwall, in a large WAN that spans over 200 sites. The infrastructure supports over 10,000 users who provide key services to over a million citizens in the city
What we are about
The successful candidate will form part of a busy team that supports the Birmingham City Council (BCC) network and requires a suitably skilled engineering resource to maintain and improve the network in line with the business requirements. .
What you will do
- Provide technical assistance and mentoring to the team
- Act as a point of escalation for team members and customers
- Provide Tier 2/3 support for the day-to-day running of the Network, Internet Services, Load-balancing and Firewall Services.
- Lead the troubleshooting of technical problems, challenges and complexities that exists within the network.
- Design and Implement network-related projects across multiple technologies
- Support other teams in DTS to implement projects which have network implications
- Configure and troubleshoot Cisco wireless LAN controllers at an enterprise level.
- Configure and troubleshoot implementations of TACACs and other authentication methods.
- Maintain and update Cisco routing and switching technology including MPLS, BGP, IS-IS, and EIGRP
- Manage and maintain our system monitoring/reporting tool, Solarwinds,
- Understanding of modern application-aware Check Point firewall technologies.
We will support you with
- An environment that values curiosity, autonomy and working in the open
- An engaged and supportive leadership with a clear vision
- Training and development opportunities to help you progress and be the best you can be
- An inclusive workplace committed to reflecting the public we serve
- A benefit package designed to promote a great work life balance
- Exposure to all digital and technology teams and services areas across the council
This is an exciting time to be joining Birmingham City Council’s Digital and Technology Services Department. We are Europe’s largest local authority, and with unprecedented investment in people and digital, a solid strategy, empowering leadership and a newly redesigned service to get behind, we are building digital services centred on the needs of our citizens, business and communities that will deliver on Birmingham’s bold ambitions for the city of today and tomorrow.
We are a multidisciplinary team at the heart of transforming public services for the UK’s second largest city. We create, develop, deliver and operate an exceptionally diverse range of services that have a direct impact on improving the lives of 1.2m residents every day.
We are embracing and promoting a truly digital, human centred approach for the whole organisation, underpinned by collaboration, openness and innovation. We take advantage of unparalleled access to data, doing things at scale and using technology creatively to re-imagine the way services are delivered and build the digital council of the future.
You must upload a Supporting Statement and CV via the attachments part of your application. This is required for shortlisting; you need to describe how your experience and skills fit the essential criteria for the role as specified in the Person Specification. If you do not attach your Supporting Statement and CV your application will not be considered.
For informal enquiries please contact James McDougall (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you require this document in an accessible format, please email the Culture & Capability team using DTSCultureandCapability@birmingham.gov.uk.